Thursday, July 1, 2010

Staying Cool July 1st 2010

I thought today would be a perfect day to start my blog. It's taken some time for me to come up with the right idea for one. Here it is: Staying cool and enjoying the Sonoran Desert throughout the entire summer. You might be thinking I'm joking? Well, maybe a little!! But the truth is, there are many places to hide from the oppressive Sun. All it takes is a little ingenuity and creativity to plan the get away from Dodge.
What I wanted to convey is something you can do with very little time..to find the perfect spot in town or out of town.. It all depends on your time frame.
The places I am going to write about are available to everyone. Whether you are on a "staycation" with little more than a day, or have the luxury of a more than three day vacation.
How about I start with the place I just came back from? From Phoenix to Payson, is about an hour and half trip. But just past Payson, at the little above 5000 foot elevation mark, is the vista of the Mogollon Rim. Leaving Phoenix at 8:00 am with the temperature at 90 degrees gave us the motivation to do a one day road trip out of town. My husband has an Uncle who owns a cabin off of the Houston Mesa Road. That is where we stayed the night and enjoyed the company of our animals. Husband did a little fishing, and I walked the dogs. Later at the cabin, we enjoyed the whispering of the pines, and a cool monsoon downpour that really chilled the night air. What we had actually thought was this trip was for the dogs, a "dogcation"..

At that point, we are probably 20 miles North of Payson. This is where the coolness begins to greet you. The tall ponderosa pines and the beautiful maroon trunks of Manzanitas welcomed us in to the forest. It took less than two hours to enjoy a perfect 24 hours of relief from the Valley of the Sun. Driving the Prius was so pleasurable, especially since it only took a half a tank of gas for the entire trip. I would have to say, it was very inexpensive and enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment